This is my first time ever writing down a recipe to share so please bear with me.
I rarely use measurements when I cook. I usually eye-ball, taste, and adjust accordingly
because that’s the way I saw my mother and grandmother do it and they are some of the best cooks I know. So, my apologizes to anyone who is looking for exact measurements. You won’t get them here. If you are okay with that, let’s get started.
There are 3 essential components to this salad
+ Sweet Potato Salmon patties
+ The raw veggies for the salad
+ the honey mustard dressing
Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes
- Wild Salmon ( can use fresh or canned)
- White Japanese sweet potato ( can substitute a different kind)
- 1 bunch of scallions
- Handful of cilantro leaves + stem
- Ginger + Garlic Paste ( can sub powder)
- Spices mix : turmeric, coriander, paprika/cayenne, salt and black pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil / Avocado Oil
– If using fresh salmon, first cook the salmon. I simply threw it in the oven ( 385 F) with a little bit of soy sauce, rice vinegar and garlic powder. Let cool 5 mins. If using canned, no need to do anything with it just yet.
– Peel, cut up and boil the sweet potatoes. Drain + let cool 5 mins.
– dice scallions and cilantro
– In a mixing bowl add : cooked ( or canned) salmon and break it up with a fork, be sure to remove any bones ; add sweet potatoes, a dash of oil and all the spices and herbs. Mash it all together. Make little balls or patties with the mixture.
– Heat non-stick/cast iron skillet and add oil of choice. I prefer Avocado Oil. Test to make sure oil is hot enough and start to put the patties into the skillet. Brown both sides. About 3-4 mins each side. Set aside for assembly.
- Red Cabbage
- Brussel Sprouts
– cut up all the veggies like you would for a slaw.
Garlic Honey Mustard Dressing
I LOVE this dressing.
- Chopped RAW garlic ( this is ESSENTIAL)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- RAW honey
- Yellow Mustard
- Salt + Pepper
Method: Add olive oil to the chopped garlic, and mix it well. Add honey, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust accordingly to preference.
Assemble the Salad.
First the slaw. then the salmon patties, and dressing drizzled on top.